Friday, March 20, 2009

The Floor

Last night, I was in so much intestinal distress that I spent the night curled up on the bathroom floor. The bedroom, literally less than 15 feet away, still seemed way too far to travel. It's funny what is important to you when you are lying in a chilled sweat on the bath mat curled up next to the toilet.
I don't know about you, but when I'm in pain, I sometimes play the "if only" game. If only my head would stop spinning, if only I could make it back to bed, etc.. If only ___I'd be completely and utterly happy! I seriously believe that if I could have that one thing, I would want for nothing else.
OK, let's fast forward, I am feeling better, and now I am 100% content with everything in life. End of story.
Right, obviously this is not the end of the story, not true. I am not content. I want more. Is that selfish? sinful? Or is it good to want more, to make more of a difference in the world, to be better at being me? How about this: is it possible to be content and not content at the same time?

3 comments:

  1. I would say absolutely yes to that question. In some areas in life - I'm as close to 100% content as humanly possible. In other areas... I'm not even close to the half-way point. My opinion is 'yes' it is possible to be content and not content at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man what a horrible feeling. I think we can be content and not content at the same time. And it's ok to want more, in some areas. I think sometimes it's difficult to decide when it's ok to want more and when we are just being indulgent, does that make sense? Like sometimes I think about buying different things to decorate our future house with, and then I think is that wasteful? Shouldn't I be thinking of spending my money in other ways? It's always ok to want more in terms of more soup for lunch or more opportunities to serve, but where is the line when you want more in terms of things you can't take with you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no!! was it a stomach bug or something? i'm so sorry. i totally know the feeling. ugh.

    ReplyDelete