Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Tyranny of 10,000 hours

Ten thousand hours. Apparently that is the amount of time it takes to master something. Think about it. If you do something 20 hours per week , it will take you ten years to rack up that mastery status. If you work at something diligently for 5 hours a week, you have to consider that you may be virtually obsolete by the time you have truly licked it. It wrecks me to consider all the time passed in my younger years not working toward anything. (To be fair, I do have a fairly cumbersome sticker collection to show for it, and a rather extensive in-brain catalogue of partially complete song lyrics.)
Ten thousand hours. After a particularly frustrating rehearsal yesterday, I had some thoughts. Part of me was tempted to take my trusty Taylor and whack out each and every frustration against some sort of brick wall, or on a concrete stage, or drop the perfectly crafted GC7 into a deep, dark well. I could float it out on some southern unfrozen ocean-type area and watch it slowly fade away in the distance. (Heck, I could sell it and buy who knows how many more stickers.)
Ten thousand hours. Instead, I took a deep breath (or thirty), threw away my tissues, and played. Well, some might not call it that yet. But it certainly kept Andy awake until past 2:00 in the morning.
I am the ultimate late bloomer.. so much passion, so little talent, so little time. But anyhow, knock two and a half more hours off my total.. 10 thousand watch out cause I'm coming for you.

5 comments:

  1. Jen,
    I can completely relate to you in this. I see that you're pulling these ideas and thoughts from 'outliers' by Malcom Gladwell. I read the synopsis of that book and it nearly sent me into a depression (not that this book is truth, but he makes a lot of good and relevant points). I fall short in all three categories of the book: Background (family, upbringing, etc.), The period in which one is born (we are in a recession in my prime), and the dreaded 10,000 rule.
    The only things that have been consistent in my life are guitar and ping pong, and lets just say I wouldn't bet a grain of sand on the odds of making a living from either... I have a long way to go to get to 10,000 hours for both. At this time I still don't have that focus, that tunnel vision, that purpose that tells you what to sacrifice for. This subject monopolizes my thoughts over all else.
    All in all, I try not to fret. If you have that hunger, it’s never too late to find a mantra. The general thoughts that come to mind when thinking about this are being passionate about what you’re doing, always improving yourself, and having that special focus. Granted those attributes can be applied to anything one does, but I can’t help that it leaves me with a desire to do all that’s necessary to gain a true mastery of something.

    p.s. please don't harm the taylor

    Darren

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel like you have way more than 10000 hours of being totally awesome already under your belt!! i would also be willing to invest in some sort of club, bat or staff you could use to beat out the frustrations rather than the taylor. (Plus i am always available push punch wrestle hit or shove)...i love you! Great Blog babe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a crazy long time when you think about it. my boss has mentioned the 10-years-to-master-something idea. it makes me wonder what i've done or will have done for 10 years to be able to master!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My advice: watch out for those deep, dark places.

    They're scary.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had the right reaction to frustration--channel it into a drive to get better. You're one of the most promising guitar players I've ever had the pleasure to teach.

    Putting yourself in situations that are beyond your current ability will accelerate how fast you learn. You can do it. And you'll be so happy you did. only 9000 some more hours to go! ; )

    ReplyDelete