Friday, March 6, 2009

The Spin Doctor.

I hate spin. I see it in politics, churches, and even as a form of impression management between friends.

I crave authenticity. If things in your life are a hot mess, I would prefer you wail and shout to the heavens and own up to your pain, grief, questions, and failures. I would not prefer you to unemotionally declare something along the lines of, "the complexity of this situation will allow me unprecedented personal growth, and I welcome the process." Sure, in some ways it's just being positive, and I'm all about personal growth. But it just seems a bit (or a million bits) too inauthentic for my taste.

Are you with me?

I thought so!

But here's the problem.

I'm a hypocrite!
I am using this despicable spin, that I detest, on a fairly regular basis.
Spin has become a necessary evil in my life.

Here's an example of how I'm currently using spin in my day job.


Background:
The high-stakes PSSA testing is coming up, and it's sending teachers across the state into frenzied skill cramming and test-preparation mode.

Spin:
Here's the chant/mantra I wrote for the kiddos as a rev up to the test. Picture a call/response, a shouty pentecostal like vibe. The teacher says a line and they repeat it.



We've worked all year in reading and Math

We know that are brains are on the right path.

We're some of the smartest in the U S of A.

And we're gonna show the world on the PSSA!


Here's what I would do without the spin:

I drill you with skills for most of the day

Cause real learning isn't measured on the PSSA.

My job review is based on the scores of this class

So pick the right answers or I'll look like an a##!



I have become the spin doctor.

7 comments:

  1. ha, i love the spin-less chant!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen... in your defense, the Spin Doctors were a great 90's band.

    Not to make a joke of your thoughts. I completely see where you're coming from. I wonder if it's so embedded in our culture that we'll never be able to completely stop "spinning" things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm haunted by the fact that most of what we do is image management--twitter, blogs, how we respond in a conversation, a job interview, going to church, all of it. We desperately want to be perceived in a certain way and do what we can to press that persona on those around us.

    Even when we're honest and "transparent", we're then praised for being so, further cementing our desire to have the reputation of being an open, honest person.

    It's crazy! and it's evidence of the waywardness of our hearts and our need for redemption from something other than ourselves.

    Who can save me from this body of death...

    ReplyDelete
  4. so I really have no idea what you're talking about because im not too keen on what 'spin' means... i'm confused right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you spin me right round baby, right round, like a record baby
    (And i like it!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael Daniel
    Here's a definition that shows kinda what I'm talking about...
    Spin...To provide an interpretation of (a statement or event, for example), especially in a way meant to sway public opinion: "a messenger who spins bogus research into a vile theology of hatred" William A. Henry III. or
    Spin 8. Informal to present information in a way that creates a favourable impression

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah. things are starting to make sense now.

    ReplyDelete