Monday, March 9, 2009

Awkward

The close talker
The Debbie downer
The giver of TMI (too much information)
The constant interrupter
The "Me Monster"
The overlaugher

All great ways to make potentially awkward situations even more awkward. I don't know about you, but when I witness the above behaviors I have strong feelings of what I like to call 3PE or third party embarrassment.
Unfortunately, I get lots of practice on first party embarrassment as I am the proud possessor of a distinct overlaugh. I don't intentionally pull it out, but sometimes it gets the best of me and has a mind of its own. When I accidentally release it, which happens all too often, I usually get one of three responses.
A. mild to extreme social awkwardness.
B. the ever so common eyebrow raise which denotes, "come on, Jen, take it down a notch, will ya?"
C. sometimes it breaks the ice and gets others laughing out loud for hours

I suppose, sometimes, an awkward situation can remind us to get over ourselves, to be who we are, and just be ok about it. And sometimes, it really is just toooooo awkward.

Does anyone out there have their own socially awkward intricacies, or do you have a good story of someone who does?

8 comments:

  1. Rach and I are both interrupters. And I had a friend in college who wouldn't laugh too loud so much as she would laugh too long. It was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am a huge interrupter and aaron hates it...and sometimes i think its a little but funny.

    also, i work with a debbie downer. and not just any debbie downer, but she takes the cake.

    also, i love your laugh.

    love :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure we all fall victim to each at specific times and when the context is just right. But I know the worst combo that is the hardest for me to withstand is the "The constant interrupter" with the "MeMonster." Deadly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. although i was quite shocked at first by your overlaugh last night. i liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love your overlaugh - you totally have that, and sometimes the TMI :-), but i also have that problem. I think Brian and I mainly interrupt each other, I try not to do that too much to anyone else. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. socially awkward behaviors are truly a dilema for me. i love people and you can totally tell some people are really struggling to fit in and make friends. They often possess more than one of these behaviors and it tends to alienate them. I struggle with how to help people...i know that i stuggle with being a bit of a me monster, and i try hard to apply grace toward others as we should. (As Jesus would) but can we and should we help people be more socially aware? And how?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i enjoy your laugh... of course i have quite the distinctive laugh myself so maybe i just understand. :-)

    ReplyDelete